APHA believes access to the full range of reproductive health services, including abortion, is a fundamental right and integral to the health and well-being of individuals and to the broader public health.
Watch APHA @ 150 ON-DEMAND: Reproductive Rights and Justice
Read our fact sheet on Zubik v. Burwell (PDF), where the Supreme Court deliberated on whether religious institutions other than churches should be exempt from the contraceptive mandate under the Affordable Care Act.
APHA has been actively speaking with the media, members of Congress and others in our continued fight to protect access and rights to reproductive health services. Examples of some recent advocacy efforts are below. Join us in this important fight.
Urge your members of Congress to protect abortion and support the Women’s Health Protection Act.
Download and use our social media shareables to spread the word about the need for reproductive health services.
FROM THE NATION'S HEALTH:
RECENT APHA ADVOCACY:
- APHA letter to the U.S. House of Representatives in support of H.R. 8296, the Women’s Health Protection Act of 2022 and H.R. 8297, the Ensuring Access to Abortion Act of 2022 (PDF)
- Organization letter to the Senate urging support for S. 4132, the Women’s Health Protection Act of 2022 (PDF)
- APHA letter to the Senate urging support for the Women's Health Protection Act to create a federal, statutory right to abortion (PDF)
- APHA filed a brief with the U.S. Supreme Court in support of the Jackson Women's Health Organization and encouraging the court to uphold Roe v. Wade (PDF)
- APHA letter to the House of Representatives urging support for H.R. 3755, the Women's Health Protection Act, which would codify the right to abortion in federal law (PDF)
- Letter in opposition to Senate legislation to limit access to reproductive health care and exacerbate harmful and inaccurate rhetoric around the issue of abortion care (PDF)
- Health organization letter urging strong investments in the Title X family program in FY 2020 (PDF)
- Public health brief filed in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit urging the court to support Plaintiffs-Appellees’ emergency motion for reconsideration en banc of the decision to allow implementation of the final Title X rule (PDF)
- Public health brief filed in the U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon in support of the Title X Family Planning Program in the case State of Oregon vs. Azar (PDF)
- Public health amicus brief in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth District opposing the state of Oklahoma's decision to restrict access to abortions during the COVID-19 pandemic (PDF)
- Public health amicus brief in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth District opposing the state of Tennessee's decision to restrict access to abortions during the COVID-19 pandemic (PDF)
- Public health brief in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit opposing the state of Arkansas's decision to restrict access to abortions during the COVID-19 pandemic (PDF)
- Health organization letter opposing the Born-Alive Abortion Survivors Protection Act (PDF)
- APHA comments opposing HHS proposed rule, "Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, Exchange Program Integrity," which threatens to eliminate coverage of abortion in the ACA marketplaces (PDF)
A SAMPLE OF APHA POLICY STATEMENTS:
Read more policy statements in our Policy Statement Database
Learn more about APHA's Sexual and Reproductive Health Section
RECENT AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PUBLIC HEALTH ARTICLES
MORE APHA REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH RESOURCES
Watch recent episodes from APHA's "That's Public Health" series on YouTube: